Eating healthy is important for everyone, but it’s especially crucial if you or someone you love is recovering from addiction. Drug and alcohol abuse robs your body of necessary nutrients, leaving the liver and other organs compromised while battling harmful toxins. In addition, many people with substance use disorder are malnourished by the time they seek help. This is in part because they don’t eat or don’t eat properly — so wrapped up in finding their next “fix” that a healthful diet just isn’t on their radar.
Proper nutrition is a vital part of healthy rehabilitation. Some of the many benefits include:
• Managing withdrawal symptoms
• Restoring physical health
• Supporting the neurological system
• Dealing with co-occurring mental health conditions like depression and anxiety
At 10 Acre Ranch, we know that eating right is often easier said than done. Fitting all of those nutrients into your diet can be overwhelming. To simplify the process, we include nutritional meal prep as part of your overall rehab. We help clients avoid sugar- and salt-laden foods and instead focus on protein, quality carbs, probiotics, fatty acids, vitamins and minerals. In addition, clients take turns prepping and serving well-balanced meals to one another.
Some key nutrients for recovery include:
- Vitamin D: Crucial to bone, skin, and mental health; it’s been shown to improve levels of the feel-good neurotransmitter serotonin.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Boost your mood
- Protein: Gives you energy and helps repair damaged cells
- Fiber: Helps aid digestion
- Vitamin C: a natural antioxidant and also study-proven to aid in the detoxification of heroin and methadone by abating painful withdrawal symptoms
- Vitamin B or Thiamin: renowned for boosting the immune system and maintaining a positive attitude; it also increases energy, fights stress and improves your learning ability.
Nutritional Help at 10 Acre Ranch
A wide range of supportive programs are offered at the Ranch, including nutritional counseling and meal preparation. Visit with our staff today to explore how 10 Acre Ranch’s economical, customized residential and outpatient programs can help you live a healthy, productive, addiction-free life! To learn more, call: 877-228-4679.